Job Openings Core Staff
Dechen Chöling is the European land center of Shambhala situated in the midst of beautiful soft green hills and magnificent old trees near Limoges, France. People from any spiritual or religious background come from all over the world to discover the richness of their own potential through practicing meditation and other contemplative disciplines. We offer a wide variety of programs and retreats contributing to create a culture of basic goodness within the society. We’re welcoming hundreds of participants each year, beginners or experienced practionners.
We are currently recruiting for the following staff positions:
Full time position available now
As Head of Operations you will work closely with our Director, in order to conceive and plan the global organisation of our programs and projects through the year.
Key tasks and responsibilities:
You will work closely with the heads of departments, you will understand and facilitate their work, you will identify organisation « gaps » and develop systems in response. You will take an active part in operational meetings.
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Very good planning and organisation skills
- Very good communication skills
- Solution oriented
- Trained in/naturally skilled in conflicts resolution
- Experience in similar work
- Speak/writes English and French fluently
You are familiar with the Shambhala culture, are committed to the practice path and have a strong understanding of community life.
Full time position available now
- Server Administration: Administer users, backups, internaI website
- Client Support: Assist staff and program staff with computer issues
- Network Administration, Troubleshooting & Optimization: optimizing network infrastructure
- Support DCl Database: Communicate with developers and office staff about database issues
- Developing Internal Web Tools: Utilizing the database to create specialized tools for office
- Budgeting & Equipment: Acquire new equipment and plan future changes to facilitate efficient workflow
- Pedagogical skills. User friendly creative problem solving skills
- Can work under pressure
- Solid organisational skills and a systematic and pragmatic approach to problem solving
- Effective forward planning skills
- Solid budget management and financial planning (to maintain the recently upgraded equipment and plan for necessary new growth)
- Can work well in a French international environment (French & English essential)
Hard technical skills:
- Comfortable with machine upgrades, repairs and rebuilds
- A developed knowledge of Apple OSX/Linux (clients and server) command line tools
- A developed knowledge of Windows (XP, Win7 and upwards)
- A good understanding of UNIX and command line
- Knowledge of networking
- Capable to handle an IT upgrade and maintaining the network and related systems
- Solid project management skills, able to deliver results and to be accountable for the department
Applications open for a seasonal (from April 1st to September 30) or a long time contract.
We are looking for men or women with good maintenance and repairing skills for join our Facilities Dept.
Specific knowledge in : plumbing, electricity, heating, painting, woodwork…is a plus.
You will have to be able to do physical work, occasionally supervise volunteers, and provide assistance as needed in facilities department and in other departments.
You would report to the head of facilities for instructions.
Please be aware that you need a visa/work permit for the EU in case you are not an EU citizen.
The heart of Dechen Chöling is a community of practioners. Working in Dechen Chöling goes together with daily practice and community life on land.
The working day is varied and depends on your role and department. Staff have the opportunity for at least two hours of personal practice per day, regular teachings by local and visiting teachers, community celebrations, study classes and, in the summer, the Dechen Chöling tradition of swimming in the near-by River Vienne.
The day starts at 9am with morning meditation, followed by the “daily gathering”, where work and other issues are discussed.
All staff participate on a rota to do household jobs.
Practice times are in the morning before the daily gathering and in the evening from 6-7 pm.
There are two days off per week
All staff have a meditation instructor and the opportunity for regular interviews.
All staff go through a probationary period for the first month to see if they and Dechen Chöling are happy with the arrangement before making a longer term commitment.
Staff receive 5 weeks holiday per year.